Monday, September 14, 2009

Cave Art

Two caves have long occupied spaces in my head: Plato's Cave from The Republic and the cave paintings of Lascaux, France. I have a fascination for walls.

I gathered the walls below by electronically painting colors and forms, then subjecting them to filtration by mathematical algorithms. The bouncing and bending of light across a sensitive electronic cave wall was captured. I call it my cave. It is now present on your monitor.

The circus show girl is for Sarasota, the circus city where I live. Here she becomes transformed into Anima Muse, a character in my personal mythology. I reversed her colors to negate any smattering of personality imposed by a tonal photo portrait. The colors work well in the cave. Anima Muse vibrates with enthusiasm ... like a cheerleader.

No comments: