Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In Site of inSight.

Trained as a Geographer, I have long been interested in mapping the spatial relationship of things. That interest has fueled much of my photographic work. That's why I made self portraits while the doctor was cutting on my ear last week.

This morning I was sitting in the doctor's examination room by myself, waiting for a follow-up exam, reading Frederick Forsyth's The Afghan. I was lost in the Qissa Khawani Bazaar with Colonel Razak when the Doctor's assistant, a pretty young lady enters the room.

"I want to see your site," she says.

Youth excites me; I get confused. I'm not sure if she's asking about a geographical SITE, such as the Qissa Khawani Bazaar, or the SIGHT of her smooth bronze skin and laughing brown eyes, or the latent SIGHT held inside the camera in the small pouch on my belt.

I ask her which site/sight she's interested in. She points to my ear; the medical SITE of a recent basal cell surgery. OK, that was easy. Now I know where I am.

But I am also here flirting with overlapping concepts in the theme of my blog. I am considering the possibilities of  "Ears that see and eyes that hear".  And I am wondering if the site/sight confusion this morning wasn't a tiny spark of cosmic light that allowed me to step inside this metaphor.

No comments: