Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Unconditional Surrender"

So Vincent (that's what I call my ear) and I are heading home from an ear surgery when we come upon this humongous  sculpture. It must be thirty feet high, painted steel.

You know the moment this sculpture is praising; it's a bigger than life moment; the moment of V Day, 1945 and the kiss that was popularized by Alfred Eisenstaedt.

I don't know what to think of it. It's immensely popular with the tourists who stop to have their pictures taken in matched poses. Yet something bothers me.

It's not that Sarasota is a pretentious circus town, I know that. The giant Swabbie and Nurse with their cartoonish glamour really do fit in here. Kind of corny, kind of fun.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your commentary on Steward's public art sculpture. Is this the version the city bought and where was it placed?